Tuesday, January 10, 2012

DIY- Pallet Garden



Hi Friends! 

Over my Christmas 'break' I decided to get my nose away from my Kindle, get outside and do a project. There's a DIY I've kept my eye on for awhile that I decided to do...

A Pallet Garden!




I work at a manufacturing facility and there is an endless supply of pallets lying around. So, I nabbed one before the holidays and my brother kindly came to pick it up for me in his truck. 

After a hefty trip to Lowe's and Home Depot I was ready to get dirrrrrty...

get it? ha, im hilarious, i know.


{Floridians rock shorts and sandals at Christmas time. Also, pls excuse my messy hair.}


Jax kept me company, til he tried to chew his way free.


The end result:


Love the way it turned out!!! 

Didn't enjoy the tiny splinters on my hands and soil stuck to my nails.

About a week later (they're still alive!):


They even survived a 2-night freeze. A couple have start to slant upwards, but my favorite one (second row from the bottom) isn't doing so hot (see first picture for comparison), but it hasn't died. Also, watering them is tricky, so much of the soil falls out. Idk, we'll see how well it ends up working out.


I love gardens and hope to have one whenever I am blessed with my own home, especially an herb garden!


Do you love gardening? 


18 comments:

Heather (GurleeGirrl) said...

I have never seen this before! Definately want to try it this summer (Michigan Girl Here!.

Anonymous said...

That is so cute!! Such a good idea. I'm not much of a gardener but maybe one day I'll get the hang of it :p

xo,
jessie

http://sweetlilsomethings.blogspot.com/

ilene @ muchloveilly said...

i am not a gardner at all but i do love flowers of any kind! these are so beautiful!

Amanda said...

that is just about the cutest thing ever! i love how charming it is! i would love to make one...but i am the WORST! :( i kill all plants within a few weeks.

Christina said...

That's pretty cool! I want to try that sometime!

Caroline said...

This is awesome. You did so great! I don't have a green thumb at all.

Gail@Sophisticated Steps said...

Oh my word. Is that not the cutest thing ever?

I totally liked your humor...getting dirrrrrty. Haha.

Being a FL girl myself (Miami...ughhh.), one of the very few things I like about it is our amount of clothing in "winter"...or the lack thereof. Lol.

P.S. Jax is a dog. You probably know that. Dogs chew because...well...they are dogs. I learned the hard way just how MUCH when my 6 mo. old puppy girl chewed her harness off and ate it. That was not a nice vet bill 2 days before Christmas. So...yes, Jax could probably chew himself free and hopefully that would be all. ;)

Jessica said...

love this, such a good idea. pinterest worthy! :)

Ashley {hudson's happenings} said...

How very cool!! I am so happy you did this...it turned out wonderfully!

Adrienne said...

Wow! This is so cute! I wish I could garden without killing everything :) Great idea!

Kim said...

it's beautiful!! this would be awesome for people with just an apartment that want an herb garden for their balcony! way to go friend :)

Julie @ The Smitten Mintons said...

Wow that looks amazing!!! I love it! And I'm terrible at keeping plants alive- I hope you have better luck with it! :)

Little Tree Vintage said...

that is such a cute idea! would love to try it when I get my own place :)

Anna @ IHOD said...

Michelle, that is pretty rockin awesome. I am going to have to show Gabe this. He is the green thumb in the family and checks on our plants daily. I love the look of this and how practical it is for space!

Abbey said...

That is so cool!

BJJ said...

I'm so in love with this. It turned out great! :)

Liesl said...

Your pallet garden looks amazing...I'm impressed! Well done!!! I'm not a gardener, but wouldn't mind trying this!

Liesl :)

Nicole said...

wow! this is really really awesome. you are so smart.

xoxo