Thursday, May 2, 2013

Day Two: Cupcakes


As I mentioned in Day One, I had a cupcakery for awhile. {Taking a break til I get settled down somewhere somewhat permanent} I'd have to say I am pretty darn knowledgeable about baking cupcakes and running an in-home bakery. I've baked well over 1,000-2,000 cupcakes, possibly more, I am just guesstimating. I am not ashamed to admit that I am a cupcake snob. I won't eat a cupcake if I know it's come from a box. Oh and don't try to trick me... I know if it has been. {Funny side note- my friends will have parties and have cupcakes there. They always apologize to me because they have come from a box, lol.} I've also done my share of taste testing the 'popular cupcakes', let's just say Sprinkles is overrated. Ya, I said it. I appreciate a great cupcake, which is why I went on a mission to make the best. My cupcakes were made with the intention of the cake part tasting phenomenal {shocking right?!}, with just a dollop of frosting. SO often cupcakeries over do it on the amount of frosting to cover up the lack of quality cake part. 

Try baking your cupcakes from scratch! It really is easier than you think!

TIPS:

-Use quality ingredients.
-Use an ice cream scooper to put the cupcake batter into the baking cups. It's the perfect amount.
-You must follow the directions to a T. Baking is not like cooking. Granted there are some recipes you can play around with.
-Keep your baking area sanitary! Especially if you are baking cupcakes for other people to eat. 


That's all I can think of at this moment. All my other tips are for if you are planning to run your own bakery from home, and or bake more than 100 cupcakes at a time. Pretty sure most of you won't be doing that.  If you have any questions, I'd love to answer them for you. 


13 comments:

Cara said...

Sprinkles is totally overrated. There was a place in Seattle (a local place) that had AMAZING cupcakes. The best I've ever tasted. You can't beat a great cupcake.

Erika from America said...

Hey there Michelle!

I found your blog through Blog Every Day in May.

I'm not a cook or a baker, but the ice cream scoop tip sounds like a good one! Also, your cupcake knowledge makes me think of another blog I went to recently who has a feature called Cupcake Monday. Have you ever had Walt Disney World cupcakes?

Anyway, thanks for sharing! Also: why did you stop doing the cupcake business?

http://www.chimerikal.com

Ashley said...

Those cupcakes look amazing. I hope you find a new place to settle down and bake again soon-- you've got talent, girl!

Anonymous said...

i have been wanting to start my own baking business from home. and then my oven started acting strange and my landlord won't fix it. so i have been the person baking 100+ cupcakes at a time.

and i'm not going to lie, i will make cupcakes from a box sometimes, but only when they are going to my office. because people will practically inhale three at a time. no point in making it taste good if they don't actually taste it.

Sarah said...

Your red velvet cupcakes are amazing! I hope you are able to start a bakery again soon :)

Caroline said...

yum! I hope this dream continues for you!

Pilgrim said...

Time for the Cinco de Mayo cupcake. :-)

Brooke said...

Love that you posted this! You seriuosly make the most delicious cupcakes ever. I was so sad when they were gone! The fact that Wayne ate several of them really tells you something! I bake random stuff all the time and he will have one, maybe two bites! He says he just doesn't like sweets, so I pretend that's really it lol. But clearly YOUR amazing cupcakes were an exception!!

Whim Wham Life said...

Magnolia Bakery is super overrated too! Totally dry and overloaded with frosting:-( Or at least it was when I went there a few months ago. Can't remember the last time I made REAL cupcakes...totally need to remedy that! xoxo

Ashley said...

Oh why oh why did I never get to try one of your cupcakes?! I'm not a big fan of too much frosting either... then you can't taste the cake part. Duh. ;)

I hope you start baking again soon so I can try one of your delicious cupcakes.

Kasey Lynne said...

So...here's another reason to move to So Cal. I want to open a boutique with clothing, accessories, household items, etc...but I want my boutique to also sell cupcakes. It would be so fun!! :D

Janna Renee said...

Wow! I didn't know this about you! Super cool.

Kathleen said...

The cupcakes look great! I just stumbled across your blog and love it!