Tuesday, April 2, 2013

Clothing Battle

Hubby vs Wifey


Basically this battle all started last Friday, on our date to Chili's. He flat out said that when we first started talking that 'my style was so weird to him but now he is use to it and that I don't dress my age'. WTF. 'Ohhhh really? How is MY style weird?' I defensively responded to the man who thinks Call of Duty shirts and a camo ball cap are appropriate attire to an Easter service or on a date.

Some of you may remember Raven's post and Jenni's post about dressing for men/their husbands. I loved that post, and I even asked the Hubs his thoughts after reading them a while back. I guess he didn't really want to hurt my feelings (or get punched in the face) so he just said 'it's different' but he likes it. Well now that we are a bit more comfortable with each other and after me insisting he be completely honest... he told me how he really felt! I was pretty bummed to find that the clothing I loved wasn't always his favorite as I want to be sexy in his eyes, to dress for him.

Note: I am growing out my hair mainly for him because of his love for long hair; I curl my hair more because he loves the way it looks on me. The things we do for love :)

 
Let's go back to our fight on Sunday morning. It is a fight to ask him to change or put on something 'nice'. He wanted to pair these nice light red shorts with a bright green and black polo and got mad at me for telling him it doesn't match. Most days and most places, I could care less about what he wears. I don't think I am that picky about it, really. Sunday he wanted to wear those red shorts with a blue Hawaiian shirt, again I said it didn't match and made suggestions. Then he wanted to wear a Florida Gator shirt with Khakis and a ball cap. I said no way buddy. That's when all hell broke loose... screaming, slamming doors, ya know the whole shabang. He ended up wearing what I originally suggested. #iwin Off to brunch we went with Kait and her beau.

He never knew what maxi dresses were and I was very devastated to find out he doesn't really like them, like at all, and I wear them practically daily and have like 8 of them. #cuethescreams He calls my maxi skirt and my Minnetoka fringe boots my hippie gear. And get this...Saturday night we went to go see a movie so I just threw on a simple Target tee (love them) and some jeans. He went bananas over how sexy and hot I looked, grabbed my butt and all and said that THIS was dressing my age.... seriously? Basically he likes the 'girl next door' look. Simple but chic. 


Today we set out on a mission to Target. One our way there I asked him about specific outfits, shirts, etc that he liked/disliked of mine. I found out he loves to see my curves and legs. He loves it when I wear jeans and a tee. He hates maxi dresses because he doesn't care to see just my feet. He thinks polka dots are set out to give men strokes. I really wish I could have had a recorder while walking through the clothing sections. We went to my section of Target and I asked him things and had him pick out some tee's that he liked for me. Then we set out to the men's section. We picked out some polos together, figured out what he likes and doesn't like, and got some tee's for him as well. (He acts like such a girl, btw, it's rather hilarious.)

It was a successful trip and we finally found some common ground.


Is your husband the same way? Do you dress for him?


16 comments:

Jess Casey said...

I am soooo happy that I read this, this am. My hubby is sort of color blind so you see what he comes up with lol. Minus the Hawaiian shirt. Josh always says that I look nice but who knows maybe he is avoiding a punch in the face too lol!

Anonymous said...

Love this post! I seriously love the polka dot comment, that made me LOL. I am glad you guys found common ground :) and there is not a better place to shop than Target! XO

Anonymous said...

I do try to dress for my husband. Your hair comment hit home with me big time! I am probably the only girl who loves long hair, but my husband likes short hair. Going to the salon last week and getting it cut into yet another bob was no fun at all, but my husband loves it so it is worth it!

(Dr. Laura would be so proud of you) ;)

Liz said...

Props to you both for shopping together! I am not sure what my husband would say about my clothes.... might be time to ask!

Pilgrim said...

Welcome to married life. :-)

Kait said...

Oh my goodness Raven's post about dressing for her husband always makes me LOL...reading the comments from that post are even better. Some women go absolutely nuts about it! Thankfully Dane is just as much as a diva as I am when it comes to buying clothes and he does a pretty good job!

Katie said...

Love your honesty here! My guy doesn't always love all the styles I wear but he always tells me its my choice but will be honest when something just doesn't look good. Sometimes I have to help him decide what to wear but I completely understand where you are coming from here. Especially with the hair thing too!

Mrs. M ~ a.k.a. ~ April said...

I wanted to laugh, OUT LOUD! I love to dress for my husband. I also like wearing high wedges and he looks up at me (he's a few inches taller than me until I put on my wedges and then we are the same height) and asks why am I wearing those? I had on what I thought a sexy negligee on and he asked why I was wearing it. That kind of hurt but he made up for it by realizing what he just said. My husband is simple like that too, he doesn't get to worked up on the heels and such. But I like dressing up but I SO appreciate that my husband is the way he is because I don't HAVE to dress up all the time.

Caroline said...

Fred has learned to ask me before he buys something. lol

KelleeLyn said...

Sounds familiar! When we got married I made him get rid of his inappropiate "funny" shirts {ya know, like strippers like my pole kinda crap} but let him keep the not as inappropiate ones and slowly over the last few years he wears them less and less. He has a bad habit of wearing the same shirts over and over again so when we go out and do things he's always wearing the same thing in photos! Drives me batty, so my solution? When I hang up his shirts I put the ones he wore recently closer to the back of the closet so he picks from the front. bwahahah
My hubby also loves the jeans & t-shirt look and HATES maxi dresses, he calls them hippy dresses too!

Holly said...

Haha this post actually made me laugh!! Men can be such babies when it comes to clothes :-P But I'm glad you were able to find some things for the both of you!!

Brooke said...

Oh my gosh! If David does not sound like Wayne lol. They sound like they dress exactly the same! Wayne pouted when I asked him to wear jeans for our date night...he wore it with the same workout t-shirt he was gonna wear with the shorts lol. He wears hats ALL THE TIME too! And usually a camo one. Is it a military thing?? Lol

Ashley said...

My husband loves a simple pair of jeans and tee shirt too. Haha. He absolutely hates skinny jeans, but I wear them anyways.

I bought my husband that Coors Light (Colorado beer!) shirt for Christmas. It's one of his favorites. I actually really like it when he wears that. It's so him.

I may have to hit up Target and get a couple of those tee shirts. I love the colors. :)

Michelle said...

Hahaha!!! LOVE THIS POST. I am all too familiar with this situation. Should I even mention the dress pants, red polo, and NEON ORANGE belt my husband has worn to work?! Sometimes I have to pick my battles with clothes, but some times I also can't let him in public for the good of society. And I know he feels the same way about some of my clothes!

Kasey Lynne said...

Your husband doesn't like maxi skirts??? I would literally cry if my husband told me that. What if you wore them with sandals or something?

I do like dressing for my husband for the most part..but sometimes, I just don't care haha

Ward Fam Adventures said...

Oh Michelle...these boys. Jon literally has tshirts from middle school that he wears on a regular basis (did I mention they were camo?). He says he wears the same ones all the time because they are softer, so recently I tried a Pinterest idea to soak them in salt water for 3 days to give them that vintage feel. We will have to see what Jon thinks when he gets home. And while we are still on the subject of HIS clothes, he doesn't believe me when I tell him he shouldn't wear his black belt with his brown cowboy boots. Ugh. Michael is the only one with any fashion sense in that family.

Regarding MY clothes...Jon once told me that a yellow shirt I was wearing didn't go with my complextion...THIS from the guy who wears multiple camo prints in a single outfit. Needless to say, I haven't bought yellow in years. He hates flats, loves long hair, and is totally comfortable sharing these preferences with me. Whenever he deploys, off goes the hair...then I grow it back out because I know he likes it. On the other hand, sometimes he does pick out some cute things for me. One of the first gifts he ever bought me was my first pair of cowboy boots. I didn't wear them for 2 years, because I never wanted cowboy boots, where would I wear them? But over time I realized I could wear them all the time! I dress for him when he's around, but I figure if he thinks it looks good then who cares what other people think.