Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Pardon My Absence

Pardon my absence friends!

{FYI-this is a rather long weekend recap post}

Friday I was in the kitchen all night baking cupcakes for a local blogger, Christina of Skip To My Lou! They turned out so cute! I got to use these temporary cupcake boxes that I just adore but are not affordable for multiple orders, so while I am waiting for the inexpensive, but cute, boxes to come in... I ordered a few of the expensive ones.


I tried to soak up some Vitamin D Saturday. It was a ridiculously warm and sunny weekend. Wish I could have had the time to hit up the beach. Maybe this weekend, but I think I heard a rumor that a cold front was coming through. I wouldn't mind that. Anyways, I was basically tortured by a wasp. It would not leave me alone. I tried to kill it but he came back for revenge so I just went back inside. Yes, I let a wasp defeat me.

Sunday was busy with baking samplers to be given out for Monday. Unfortunately I encountered a big fat FAIL. I was going to do a sampler of mini cupcakes, 4 flavors...Red Velvet, Carrot, Chocolate, and Vanilla. The vanilla cupcake tasted wonderful out of the oven. Not so much the next day. It was like rock hard. This is the second time I have had problems with baking vanilla cupcakes! It's making me mad. (Any good recipes you may have for moist vanilla cupcakes is welcome) For the frosting of these vanilla cupcakes, I was going to do strawberry! But that turned out awful. The frosting and the strawberry puree were separated and I could not get them to combine. I seriously mixed the frosting for a good 30 minutes. I added powedered sugar...nothing. I added heavy whipping cream...nothing. So I had to call it.... FAIL. Thankfully I had extra of the red velvet and carrot I could use in place of the vanilla failure. This is all a learning experience and I continue to amaze myself by not completely freaking out.

So, I had yesterday off (from my job that pays the bills) and spent the entire day delivering the cupcake samplers (which I failed to get pictures of, they were so cute too!) IT WAS HOT yesterday. I was NOT prepared for this. I haven't used my air conditioning since last Sept? Well...I found out yesterday that it isn't working! Perfect. So I tried my best to hide the cupcakes from the sun. The whipped topping on the chocolate cupcakes melted on some of the samplers. I was so embarassed and felt unprepared and made sure I apologized for it. Despite getting lost while trying to deliver an order, sweating bullets, spilling food on my cardigan, and melted frosting... the response I get from people loving my cupcakes made it all worth while and makes my heart smile. "Spreading LOVE-one cupcake at a time"

Hopefully today I will be able to catch up on your blogs!

19 comments:

Sandy a la Mode said...

awwwwwwwww you are soo cute!! it's ok, it's all a learning process girl and you'll be a pro in no time!! i can't wait to try your cupcakes!!!

Little Tree Vintage said...

awesome to hear you had cupcake orders :) must be fun!!! good luck to you, I also enjoyed the beautiful weather but now it's gone :(

Amanda said...

yay! i'm soooo proud of you michelle! you learn as you go in any new adventure! you'r cupcakes sound so cute and yummy....i wish i was near you and i would order some! :) xoxo

Christina said...

It's awesome you got your name out there yesterday!! Keep up the good work, you'll figure out the little piece that are off along the way :) You got rave reviews all around from my friends! That Snickers one especially was my favorite! YUM!

ilene @ muchloveilly said...

you have good reason to be MIA!! i would be too if i was baking up a storm. keep it up, girl - so excited for you!!!

Rebekah said...

I'm sorry it all didn't go as planned, but you're right! It is a learning process. Your weekend sounds lovely!

Unknown said...

awww Michelle! I am sorry you had such a rough day yesterday trapsing around the CFL area =/ You'll figure out the vanilla cupcake thing. Good for you making them from scratch lol I used box cake for a reason haha. BUT you are dedicated to your craft. I may have to research and try out a recipe =) I don't have anything else going on right now lol =)

Ashley said...

The cupcakes look amazing!

chloë. said...

taste trumps appearance any day! glad they were well liked in spite of the troubles. so weird that things are melting in the car this time of year by you. we're still at the point of things freezing!

and randomly, I actually have a really good vanilla cupcake recipe (from scratch) from this random cookbook I got on the side of the road in Podunk, Virginia (not literally, but figuratively, LOL). When I made it, people were raving and asking for the recipe and it is REALLY easy to make, and I'll bet you can tweak it to make it even better. :) I can send it along when I get home if you'd like!

Annie said...

the cupcakes look delicious!! i really wish i was near you, i could go for some cupcakes...like on a daily basis!!
totally jealous you had some nice weather ;) i can't wait for spring!

Caroline said...

They're so cute! Don't worry, it'll all come together over time! :)

Melissa: Write it in Lipstick said...

hahaha keep spreading that love hun. And if your still MIA I will take it as a great sign for your business.


Write it in lipstick

Sarah said...

Great fun shaped box! Sounds like a lot of learning this weekend. Learning is good :) I've learned that humidity (and heat, of course) plays a large part of successful frostings here in FL. Be smart and keep a journal of all the fails and successes (and what the weather is like at the time) - I forget. Thanks for sharing. You motivate me to experiment :)

Unknown said...

Sounds like you've been BUSY! Happy for you about your cupcake business. It sounds like so much fun! As for the wasp incident...I would have let it defeat me too! Haha. I'm sorry to hear about your AC going out. Hope it gets fixed soon and that you get to go to the beach! Have a wonderful day Michelle! :)

Whim Wham Life said...

You are definitely having an adventure:-) Great job girl. Those cupcakes look amazing! xoxo

ASHLEY said...

aww! That's awesome!! (about everyone loving your cupcakes!!!) Sometimes you just have to laugh those days off!!!

Megan said...

Thanks for keeping us updated on your new adventure! I'm so proud of you for not freaking out when things went wrong with the vanilla cupcake. You will get it perfect eventually!! I wish I could try a cupcake!!

Chelsy said...

any chance you could deliver some cupcakes to West Virginia?? I'll take em melted, smushed, 3 days old- whatever! I L.O.V.E. cupcakes!!

Amber said...

Congratulations on filling your order! It's so great that you're getting this business off the ground and running - they look fabulous and super yummy! I hope your samplers turn out to bring you lots of business! :)