Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Cycling Adventures



I had a rather interesting 10 mile bike ride last night. Here are my reflections:

-Wind and a road bike DO NOT GET ALONG. Road bikes are very light weight bikes and when you add some strong wind into the mixture it is quite frightening.

-With the wind came a much harder resistance that I am not use to. My legs are a bit sore today and my arms/triceps got a great work out while clinging on for dear life. Oh and I can't even count the times I was hit in the face by an acorn, leaf, or bug. That being said, must remind myself to keep my mouth shut!

-Why don't my fellow cyclists smile, do a finger wave, or greet in passing? I do not get it. Motorcyclists do it. Annoys me.

-Know what else is annoying? People who take up the entire trail. HELLO! I swear one of these days I am going to accidentally run into one of them when they don't get out of the way. What happened to being courteous and staying on one side?! Grrr.

-I had a companion keep up with for about 5 minutes. Yeah...some random dog ran along side of me. I was nervous at first (thinking the dog was going to attack me and Trek) but then I laughed. Eventually the owner passed me on his bike and apologized saying the dog was with him. I was very impressed with the dogs ability to keep up!

I can't get over how much my love for cycling has grown.
Love you Trek! (im a dork, I know)

9 comments:

Miss Chelsea said...

I know it's wrong... but I couldn't help but giggle at the comment about getting hit in the face with acorns

shawni marie said...

My ex boyfriend bought me a road bike for my birthday. I can't even get on the thing, so I admire you MORE THAN WORDS for being a roadie. So awesome <33

Unknown said...

I commend you for taking up the workout everyone recommends to be the best for your body. I can't get into it, but definitely agree on the smiling...When I run on the trail, I try to smile but people always seem to be more intent on averting eye contact.

Unknown said...

Awww! This is so awesome and you are such an active person! I wish I had the time to go bikeriding. Maybe I just need to "make" the time. Reading this made me giggle and encouraged me to consider it too. :)

Anonymous said...

I love to cycle too! I just got into it recently! I see you live in orlando! I just moved down here a month ago! You will have to tell me which trails/routes are the best! Oh and I am totally with you about the smiling and waving! I do it!!! Love the blog! -Katie

chloƫ. said...

I HATE when people take up an entire walking area...be at the the mall or on a trail or ANYWHERE. It's so incredibly rude. Like their party owns the path. Ugh.

Anyway, I love reading about your bike rides. I feel so cool having a cyclist friend :]

Amber said...

10 mile bike ride - look at you go! I've never biked really, but always thought it would be great to try. But I am runner, so I know how annoying it can be when other people do not wave at you. It's like, "Hey we are both out here busting our butts on this trail - a simply wave of comradery would be appreciated!" :)

Courtney said...

Girl, I'd have never made it past mile one. I'm impressed! Reading this made me laugh out loud a little. Funny!

Misty Michelle said...

I Love it!! I love going on bike rides but I am NOT very good.. I wobble around and get SO nervous when anyone is around me... hahaha

Its such a good workout though!!