Tuesday, December 6, 2011

I Survived


I AM A HALF MARATHONER!




I am still in shock.

Did I really run 13.1 miles? 

Yes, yes I did.



Let's rewind....


SIX weeks ago I decided to just go for it. Yes, that left me with only six weeks to train. Prior to these six weeks I wasn't really on a running schedule, I just ran whenever I felt like it. So maybe 2-3 times a week. Let it be known that I have only ever done 5k's. No, of course I did not work myself up from 5k's to 10k's. I'm crazy, people. This I DO wish I would have done, but oh well. I had a lot of good runs and a lot of bad runs during my training. But, I was determined. I forced myself to run when I didn't want to because I needed to. I was not going to back out of this. Even when it came down to one week left and I had a very bad run, I would not let myself quit. To me, this is the hardest part...getting (forcing) yourself out the door to train. This is also the most important part.




I have never considered myself 'a runner'. I run 10-11 minute miles. A lot of people I know or am surrounded by are much faster than I, much more dedicated than I. It wasn't til I signed up for this half marathon that my view of myself being a runner changed. Thanks to my Pinterest running inspiration board and reading articles on Runners World:

























Race Day: I am a nervous wreck. My hands are shaking. I force food down and head out the door. All by myself. I get down there, it's packed. Nerves hike up even more. Then I realize I am hungry and I have to use the restroom so bad. Wait in a long line to use the restroom and realize I left my ipod in my car. I pee, then run back to my car to get my ipod and curse at myself for forgetting that granola bar on my dresser. Then we are all called to the start line. I make my way through the crowd to around the 10+ mile marker. I think to myself... "OMG THIS IS IT!!!" I do some last minute stretching, say some prayers, calm myself down, remind myself of why I am doing this, who I am doing it for, and to just have fun. 

It was an absolutely beautiful day. Wasn't too cold, wasn't too hot. So thankful for this. We went through some beautiful neighborhoods in Downtown Orlando. I was keeping a 10 minute mile pace for a while. I went back and forth from running to power walking. I carried a water bottle with me. Very thankful for this. At every station I just grabbed some Gatorade, drank half of it and then drank some water. 

Mile 6 I saw my parents. I so very much needed to see them and hear their encouragements. 



Miles 10-12 were by far the hardest miles. A girl next to me looks at me and goes... "THIS SUCKS". It really did. By now my body is aching and I am STARVING. So much to the point where I am tempted multiple times to ask my fellow runners if I can have some of their Gu packs or if they have food. I keep trying to ignore it but I was almost to the point of crying. Especially around Mile 12 when people who have completed the race are walking back to their cars, medals around their necks and bananas in their hands. What I would have given for a dang banana. I held it together. I did a lot of power walking. My goal was to finish between 2-2 1/2 hours. I was over the 2 hour mark. I then realized I would not make it before 2 1/2 hrs and I honestly was okay with that. I was going to finish and that is all that mattered at this point. I needed food and I needed beer. 

Then, I saw the finish line. I crossed that corner and sucked up all that was left in me to run the entire way to the finish line. I saw my Dad again. I needed that push. I hear my mother screaming my name. I hear my name on the loud speaker announcing my arrival.

I crossed the finish line at 2:32:38.



PlaceNameBibAgeDiv PlaceGender PlaceClock TimeChip TimePaceHometown
1829MICHELLE YUTZY848261328522:33:472:32:3811:39.1WINTER SPRINGS, FL



(praising Jesus)



Was immediately given my medal. Found my Mom. Almost vomited. And then I couldn't hold back the tears. I also wanted to scream from pain and shock. I just completed a half marathon... 13.1 miles!!!!!!!



Got myself some water, a banana, half an orange and... beer.

My parents and I went to Cracker Barrel after. I quickly could feel my body starting to ache and the salt covering my face (ew). Let me tell you...I looked SEXY. I drank lots of water and some Chocolate Milk. I tried to eat my food but then I quickly began to feel like I was going to vomit again. I assume it was from not having anything in my stomach for so long. 

The rest of my day was spent hydrating, stretching, massaging my muscles, sticking my legs in the ice cold pool, and icing my body.

I also treated myself to a pedicure/manicure. Poor souls, I know. The person doing my feet asked me if I was a runner. 

I smiled and said yes, "I AM A RUNNER."

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Looking back now, I really should have started training 10wks prior to race day and more strength training. I am going to start strength training this week. There is a 10k and another half marathon next year that I just might find myself doing. This time, I know what to expect and how to better prepare myself. I also will hope to NOT do this race by myself. I need to make sure I eat plenty before and take GU or G2 packets with me, for just in case. Next, I need to get fitted for running shoes. My foot hurts really bad today and I believe it is because of not having the right shoe. Ouch!



THANK YOU to all who encouraged and believed in me!!!


ESPECIALLY Nicole!

xoxo.

33 comments:

Christina said...

You are awesome! Congratulations!

Heather said...

Wow, that is awesome! I'm so impressed.

♥ Marcy ♥ said...

You go girl that's awesome!

Stephanie said...

Congrats! That's awesome!!!! You should feel so proud of yourself!!!

SarahBeth said...

Congratulations! You are truly inspiring, so proud of you for doing it, and FINISHING!

<3 <3 <3

Amanda said...

girl you are my HERO!!!!!!!!! that is sooooooooo awesome! i aspire to do that someday. i'm so proud of you!

Katie said...

Just became a follower of your blog! congrats on your half marathon. I've ran a few marathons and half marathons - it is addicting! : ) Way to go!

Caroline said...

Way to go! That's so awesome! Congrats!

Anonymous said...

What a great accomplishment! Congratulations girl!

xoxo,
Noelani

Anonymous said...

Congratulations girlie!! You're amazing :)

Mateya said...

You are so cute! I am so proud of you!!!!!

It's such a great feeling crossing that finish line! :)

Heather (Heatherella) said...

SO PROUD OF YOU!!!!!!!

Jenn @ West Sac Honey said...

So proud of you! Good job finishing it! I want to try doing one so bad!

Tami said...

Congratulations! That is such an amazing accomplishment. I trained for one a few years ago but it got snowed out! I kind of quit running after that but you have motivated me to get in gear and find a race!

Nicole said...

You are so sweet! :) and I am SO proud of you!! Congratulations, you're now part of the "club." I'd give you a big hug if you were closer. And PS - you felt sick afterwards because your body was in a state of shock. And its totally normal. That's why there is chocolate milk, to replenish those calories because your body can't handle food for a few hours. You rock!!

Miss Chelsea said...

You rock. I could never do that ha

henning love said...

congrats girl! you did it and wow 6 weeks prior you decided to go for it, that is so cool! you are indeed a runner!

jessica said...

Yay! I am so happy it went well :) You totally did it! I remember the feeling after my first 1/2. It was amazing, but like you, it was hard to eat too. I think it's pretty common- breakfast, or not. Congrats again! You should be really proud of yourself, and you are a runner, no matter how fast you run!

Bailey

Jamie said...

That is such a huge accomplishment. Congrats.

Elle Sees said...

Congrats! One day I will do this. Enter to win 5 shirts from StyleMint!

Alycia Grayce (Crowley Party) said...

CONGRATS! Isn't it the best feeling ever? I remember finishing mine. It felt amazing!

Brooke said...

This is so awesome to read! I am so proud of you--that really is quite the accomplishment! This is really inspiring too. I have been saying that I want to run a half marathon for the longest time but just haven't gotten my butt in gear to actually do anything about it! Maybe I will now :) Who knows, maybe I can run a race with you next year!

Unknown said...

Awesome!! You must feel so proud-and you should!! I want to do my first one this spring-thanks for the inspiration!

Lindsey said...

Congratulations!!! How awesome is this??

Blair McLeod said...

elated for you. proud of you. YOU GO GIRL!

Chelsea said...

Loved reading this! You go girl! Congrats :)

Anonymous said...

That is so awesome! Very proud of you! Congrat's! :)

Britt said...

This is such a great inspiration for me. I loved what your nail lady said too. Congratulations!

Megan said...

Congratulations, girl!!! You are amazing!!!!

Chrissi said...

WAAAAAAAY to go my friend! XOXOXOXO

Angie said...

So proud of you for starting and finishing the run! This post was really inspirational to me. I don't consider myself a runner, and run 2-3 times a week right now. I'm doing a half marathon in June and reading this made me realize more than ever than I can do the half in June. thank you!

Mere said...

Go Michelle!!! So exciting to have finished. You planning on doing another half anytime soon?! :p My goal is a 5k in the spring...guess I better start training now?!

Amanda Marshall said...

YAY!!! SO PROUD OF YOU!!!!! Doesnt it feel soo good to finish it?! Now you're going to be addicted to halfs and love them more with each one!